What is Nick like as a narrator? Is he a reliable storyteller, or does his version of events seem suspect? How do his qualities as a character affect his narration?
Rachel Tyus 1A Nick as a narrator is not a reliable storyteller, his events seems rather suspect. Despite the fact that Nick and the girl spend a long period of time talking about whether or not to have the operation, they never say what kind it is. Nick does not tell his opinions or thoughts on the operation, or even the surrounding circumstances. As a narrator and character, Nick does not put it right out in the open.
Sarah Kirkland 4/A I agree with Hsienchi. Nick is an unreliable character because of the suspense but also because he gives us a bias view on the things that our going on in the story. Instead of third person where the author could put character details he is making Nick our eyes and our thoughts in the story.
Nick is biased as a narrator. In this regard I concur with Rachel Tyus when she says "Nick as a narrator is not a reliable storyteller". As he is explaining events through his eyes and describes them with the words he would choose. Sarah Kirkland is correct when she states "Instead of third person where the author could put character details he is making Nick our eyes and our thoughts in the story." as a third person or omniscient narrator would give more fact and less opinion of characters. Therefore his version of events seem suspect. This is due to his qualities as a character influencing his telling. For example, Nick is the cousin of Daisy and agrees to help the love affair between her and Gatsby, which makes him base opinions about others around such. Even though he is reflective and open-minded his bias gets in the way of him being a reliable storyteller.
Michelle Reynolds 1A I agree with both Sarah Kirkland and Larry Lantz. Nick is a biased narrator because he's helping along the love affair betwenn Daisy(his cousin) and Gatsby(his neighboor) although Daisy is married to his friend Tom. Nick is a unreliable narrator because he gives too many facts and not enough oponions about the characters.
Shambria Littlejohn 5B Nick is a unreliable narrator in the novel, "The Great Gatsby." He documents all the events in which he think they occur; "music from (his) neighbors house through summer nights (43). He goes on and explains the events in chronological order from a day to day basis. The narrator does not talk about other minor characters instead he "reserved judgments" (6). The novel is about Gatsby and how he became so great. Nick pays close attention to his neighbors house instead of paying attention to the neighbor as a major character. I agree with Larry, Nick is a bias narrator. He is focused on getting Gatsby back with Daisy he do not look into others thoughts about Gatsby. The novel is about Gatsby he tells us his point of view and version he needs to open up more.
Meghan Massey 5B I find Nick to be an unreliable narrator of "The Great Gatsby", he tells things as he sees it and only uses what words he feels are needed. I concur with Sarah Kirkland in that instead of having a third person view into the story all we have is Nick and what he sees, hears, and feels. I also agree with Larry, Nick's version is more suspect than what a third person narrator would present. With Nick as the narrator we are left with his biased views.
Angel Lilly 4A I believe the author is bias, in this book "we are him". He is explaining the story the way he sees it, so we get his opinions and what he thinks on subjects. This book is in a way hard to follow because of how he has set it up. He likes to "blur" his thoughts where its hard for us to see, we have to read between the lines and his thoughts to fully understand what he's saying.
I don't think Nick is a very good narrator. First of all the way he narrates is rather confusing. Sometimes I will get confused as to what he is talking about.
I'd also have to agree that he is biased as Larry said. He blurs his thoughts and stuff as Angel said.
Nick Carraway is an unreliable storyteller because it is his perceptions and attitudes regarding the events and characters of the novel. Nicks way of explaining the meaning of the story is to have be part of it. Everything in chapter one is through Nick's point of view which has it's contradictions. Nicks character is explained as tolerant and nonjudgmental, which he also views himself as privileged so I can certainly say his character affects the way he narrates. I agree with Angel on his thoughts are blurred.
Saaiba yakub 1A i agree with hsienchi and rachel. Nick is not a reliable narrator. he gives alot of facts but just not enough details to support them. i dont get where the story is taking me because it is written in a different way.
In a way Nick is a reliable storyteller from the way he introduces the narration in the beginning of The Great Gatsby. Like Meghan says he tells things the way he sees it based on his qualities. I think that gets his audience to trust his viewpoints. As the novel continues though, I agree with Jonah things do get confusing. He present topics but don't support them specifically.
Andrea Yales 5B I agree with Meghan when saying Nick is an unreliable narrator, because a narrator should tell the views of other people and not just how one person sees it. For example, That's why when there is a crime scene the cops don't just ask one person what happened they as mulitple people to get different views to solve the crime. That is what I beleive a reliable narrator should do so we can get the full jist of the story taking place.
Shelby DiGiorgi 4A I agree with both Meghan and Andrea when they say that Nick is an unreliable narrator because of the view that he gives us. He onlys puts his writing into his own perspective instead of including that of others. If he wanted us to believe him more, and trust his opinion, he would tell what others were thinking, allowing us to have a better perspective of what he was saying and believe him more.
Alex Reid 4/A I believe that Nick is a very good narrator and I trust him as the narrator. If he were lying he would try to make himself look like a better person. For example when Tom is cheating on Daisy with Myrtle he could have said he told Daisy to make himself seem more honest. Also when Tom punched Myrtle he could have said he stood up for her and hit Tom to make him seem brave, but he didn’t. I believe him because it seems to me that he told the story exactly how it happened and didn’t try to alter it to make anyone, even himself, seem better.
Ashley Smith 1A i agree with Shelby and Rachel when they say Nick is not a reliable narrator because the whole time he had the conversation with the girl it never once mentioned what the operation was about. he doesn't add his thoughts and opinions into the way he tells the story i think if he would people would believe him more and see his way of telling it. i believe that it would be a better perspective overall.
Rachel Tyus 1A Oopsie, I misunderstood the prompt.
Nick as the narrator of the Great Gatsby is still a suspect author. He explains things in a very different way. He focuses on weird details such as lists of people or geography of town, unlike other authors.
As a character Nick is drawn close to Daisy, because they are family. Therefore, his role in the love story between them, will always be protective over Daisy, despite how he looks up to Gatsby.
I disagree with Meghan about the author only using his perspective. For instance , the author uses Jordan's perspective of being a bridesmaid at Daisy's wedding. Which gives a slightly deeper view into the relation that Gatsby (whom the book is written about) and Daisy's past relationship.
I agree with Larry that if the author used a more omniscient third person view the book would be less biased , creating more fact and less opinion.
I believe that Nick's character so far is said to be reliable because the characters in the book already rely on him. He is a good listener when it coomes to peoples problems, especially when he was having a serious conversation with Dasy. Therefore, if he is concerned with how others feel then why would he not be trustworthy over his story. Also, its not only a story about him its about things that are important to him that occured. Therefore, he defines himeself while writting it.
I believe that Nick is an unreliable narrator. He seems to leave out details often, for example when Mr. Gatsby offers him a job. Nick becomes questionable and doesn't even give Gatsby a chance to tell him what the job is. Not to mention, I also agree with Michelle on her point. The narrator obviously has a bias in this book, based on the fact that he is related to Daisy.
In a sense, no, Nick is not a reliable middle man. He is only able to relay what he sees and thinks, even yet, he is not straight-forward or revealing in terms of his personal thoughts and opinions. It’s almost as if in the process of telling his story he has edited out key information in order to create mystery. Andrea Yales said “...when there is a crime scene the cops don't just ask one person what happened they ask multiple people to get different views to solve the crime.” I agree with what she is saying, that a good narrator provides thoughts from more than one view to illustrate a complete picture or scenario, which Nick is not doing. Though this is probably deliberate on the part of the author. Alexia Zaldivar wrote “...he defines himself while writing it,” meaning Nick is making realizations as he recounts the story and contemplates that which is important to him. That, again, may be a technique F. Scott Fitzgerald wove into the characterization, thus making Nick more relatable.
Alysscia Rhodes 5B When referring to Nick in the novel "The Great Gatsby", he is not a reliable narrator. Nick is limited to what he sees and hears alone, subjecting readers to only his opinion. Therefor creating a mystery, as Zoe Kennedy previously stated. Agreeing with Sara Glaze on Nick's character being tolerant and nonjudgemental, explains why he barely reacts to Tom's affair. This affects his narration by not including dramatic emotions to the story.
I agree with Larry and Rachel. Nick cannot be an unbiased narrator because he has his own oppinions and is vauge on certain peices of the story. He bases the story on how he views the events portrayed in the story. If it was his neighbors view in the beginning of chapter three, he would act like it was common to have a "machine that peels two hundred oranges in half an hour".
Narrators tell the story from either first person or third person. Anyone who has ever read the first sentence of "The Great Gatsby" will realize that the story will be from a first person point of view. That being said it should also be noted that first person point of view will be biased since it is that one persons opinion and recollection of an event. So I think that Nick was a good narrator since he told us what we needed to know in order for the story to progress and make sense. We were not told of the inconsequential details of his life such as " and then I ate dinner where I realized that I needed to go to town to buy eggs and milk." I mean really, imagine how long and boring the book would be then. Nick tells us a story of his youth, a time in which he learned more about himself and the world in which he lived in so it should make sense that it would be from his perspective and we are aware of only his feelings towards events in the book.
Hsienchi Dy 1/A I think that Nick is an unreliable narrator, because just like Rachel said, Nick focuses on different things such as a list of people and also explain things in a different way than other authors would. I also agree with Jonah, because Nick's narration can be confusing. I think that because Nick is connected to Daisy, he has now an ability to find out more about Jay Gatsby. Therefore, readers would be able to read the novel easily because Nick can tell more about the mysterious Gatsby.
As a narrator Nick Carraways is not reliable, compare to if the story was told by the author point of view. Like Larry Lantz stated, Nick only explains what he knows or sees through his own eyes and because of this characters are not fully developed. Finally because this is in a 3rd person point of view a reader cannot believe all the arguments that Nick expose in the narration, each character has their own point of view and opinions, one character cannot be responsible for the viewpoint of all the character in the novel.
Tylar Ball 5B From what I have read so far I think nick is a pretty good narrator. He does kind of make things seem foggy when you first read it but if you go over it again you may be able to understand it a little better. He seems pretty reliable from what I have read, because everyone else has been found to be a liar except him so far. But that could be him trying to cover up that he may be a liar also. The way his character is percieved as the good guy could mean that he really is the bad guy.
Amanda Hamilton 1/a I believe Nick is a biased narrator. I agree with Rachel and Ashley, Nick is not a reliable story teller. Nick provide his opinions and his judgements. The type of operation was never mentioned but they talked about the operation a lot. Just like Shelby said he uses his own perspective. I think he could have used the other character's perspective also.
In my opinion, Nick is not a reliable storyteller due to the fact that he is biased as suggested by Amanda. His feelings and opinions change about the characters like how we feel towards some people. As I read, I feel like his attitudes towards the characters is based on how they act which changes the attitude of him narrating. For example, he was very sweet and almost romantic towards Jordan Baker but towards the end he started acting cold hearted towards her and I didn't understand why.
Mikaela Jacob 5B I think Nick is unreliable because the drama in the story really has nothing to do with him he is just a person on the outside looking in. He doesn't really know any of the characters personally and can't raelly tell how they feel. I agree with Shambria saying that Nick jumps around time. i also agree with Tylar saying if you reread things will become clearer.
Christian Brenneke 1A Nick as an author is bias because everything he says is through his opinion of the way he sees things. He as the cousin of daisy and neighbor of Gatsby also affects his ability to tell the story without being bias because of his personal relationship with the characters. By saying this I have to agree with Rachel Tyus and Sarah glaze.
Damen Bennett 4A Nick the narrator, is not a very good one to say the least. I say this because his opinions are very personal and bias.(for lack of a better word since I know EVERYONE has said this)For example, his opinion on Mr. Gatsby is different because hes related to Daisy, had he not been related to her he probably would've thought more highly of him. Had Nick not had a bias the story probably would've had more details, and better information about them.
Nick is not a reliable narrator, he is not very good at comletely explaining things or where he is coming from. Sometimes at the end of chapters he leaves you confused and lost. I agree with larry when he says "as he is explaining events through his eyes and describes them with the words he would choose." I feel like it makes the story more biased and doesnt really give us facts about the other characters, He is telling us more his opinions than anything else.
Deion R. 4A Nick is ultimately an unreliable storyteller because the story is seen through his perspective alone. Thus I agree with Vanessa that Nick's actions, thoughts, and dialogue reflect around his personal emotions towards the characters, more than the facts and characteristics about them. Also, he has the tendency to make poor transitions between scenes ,and I find myself reading previous pages to find out how they came to where they were at the moment. An example would be page 38 where he is at Mr. McKee's bedside and then he is sleeping at the train station with no indication of how he ended up there.
As a narrator, Nick is okay as a narrator but not that reliable. It's only his side of the story and he is only sharing what he feels and his opinions. Like Mikaela said, "he's just a character looking in on other people's drama", Nick became involved after that dinner with his cousin and her husband. His version can be suspected because we don't know every side of the story. He doesn't provide the right information; he's not neutral. His qualities affect his narration as character because a reader can't rely on his words since some his details are foggy as Tylar stated.
I believe Nick, the narrator of "The Great Gatsby" to be a very unreliable narrator, throughout the story he often throws his own perspective into the picture. For example, near the beginning he is explaining the sort of "aura" that daisy gives off and that very well may be that only he sees her this way. I agree with Sarah Kirkland when she says "Instead of third person where the author could put character details he is making Nick our eyes and our thoughts in the story.” It would be more helpful if there was a third person acting as narrator instead of Nick. I also agree with Larry Lantz when he states “Therefore his version of events seem suspect. This is due to his qualities as a character influencing his telling.” By him being the narrator we are only seeing this happening through his eyes and his eyes alone
How can Nick Be a Unreliable storyteller? it never includes anywhere or anything of Historical or background knowledge that doesnt correlate to his Narrating. of course the story told would be biased it's a first person account of Events. hence the saying "there's always two sides to every story"
I BELIEVE NicK to be a very unreliable narrator IN WHICH THROUGHOUT THE BOOK HE TELLS THE STORY THROUGH HIS PERSPECTIVE IN A SUSPENSEFUL WAY LEAVING THE READER WITH A TRAIN OF THOUGHTS AND QUESTIONS. NOT REALLY ENURING THE READER WHATS HAPPENING IN A SPECIFIC CHAPTER HIS PERSONAL THOUGHTS REALLY PORTRAY THE CHARACTERS FROM A DIFFRENT VIEW THAN WHAT THEY REALL ARE. CONFUSING THE READER. FOR EXAMPLE WHEN NICK SEES STRANGE THINGS HAPPENING AT GATSBY HOUSE HE DOESNT REALLY HAVE A ACTION FOR IT INSTEAD TRYS TO FORGET THE SITUATION SO NICK IS A UNRELIABLE NARRATOR!
KERI PRINCE-K. 1A I BELIEVE NicK to be a very unreliable narrator IN WHICH THROUGHOUT THE BOOK HE TELLS THE STORY THROUGH HIS PERSPECTIVE IN A SUSPENSEFUL WAY LEAVING THE READER WITH A TRAIN OF THOUGHTS AND QUESTIONS. NOT REALLY ENURING THE READER WHATS HAPPENING IN A SPECIFIC CHAPTER HIS PERSONAL THOUGHTS REALLY PORTRAY THE CHARACTERS FROM A DIFFRENT VIEW THAN WHAT THEY REALL ARE. CONFUSING THE READER. FOR EXAMPLE WHEN NICK SEES STRANGE THINGS HAPPENING AT GATSBY HOUSE HE DOESNT REALLY HAVE A ACTION FOR IT INSTEAD TRYS TO FORGET THE SITUATION SO NICK IS A UNRELIABLE NARRATOR!
Alexis W. 5B In my opinion, Nick is not a reliable storyteller. I agree with Amanda and Vanessa in saying that Nick is a biased narrator. His version of the story seems to differ from how other characters in the story saw the events in the story due to his own relationships and opinions of other characters. The way I see it, throughout the book we only get one side of the story. Nick only tells the story through his perspective. He never goes back to give us the opinions of the other characters. This, in my opinion, makes Nick an unreliable narrator.
in my opinion nick the narrator is an amazing and reliable story teller. I say this for many reasons. But let me elaborate on my first. Nick makes it seem as if i am a person with impaired vision and he takes things around him and explains it to the highest of his ability. For example he can take something so simple like "she looked at me" into "...Her grey sun-strained eyes looked back at me" (pg.15). I already had thought in my mind that she had beatiful grey eyes.
April H 1A I think that Nick is a good narrator because he tells the story from neither points if view. He is an unbiased third-party. Granted it can be a little confusing at times woith him not have ing a point of view but overall he is good.
i do not agree with Jonah because he thinks that he is a bad narrator. I do agree with Keri when she says that heis unreliable.
Logan Richards 4A I will have to disagree with the majority of the responses (save for Aprils), to this question. I found out Nick to be a reliable narrator in The Great Gatsby. In the story Nick never lays his own judgement over the facts of the story. A prime example of this comes early in the story when Jordan Baker relays her knowledge of Toms mistress. Nick makes no judgement, nor does he even express an opinion. Nick is not an omniscient narrator in the sense that he doesn't know anymore about what is occurring than the reader does. Nick may not be the most reliable of narrators, however he is not inherently bad in the sense that he lets his view overcloud his telling of the straight facts of the story.
nick as a narrator is not a reliable story teller because he is very biased. he only describes events in his own view. everything he states is in his own eyes or are his own thoughts. he does not tell the events in third person but in first person so we do not get to see all of the points of views from a various perspective of people. also as he is telling the story in his perspective he has a tendency to "leave the reader hanging" if you will.
Nick as a narrator is not a reliable story teller because his views are one sided. he does not give insight as to whats going on. When he explains the whats going on in the story he leaves to much to the imagination as does not give direct information. This could be viewed as good or bad depending on the reader. Some people like to know everything but Nick allows you to form your own opinion about what is happening. I also agree with cole when he says nick is very biased because he only tells the story through his own eyes and thoughts.
Rachel Tyus 1A
ReplyDeleteNick as a narrator is not a reliable storyteller, his events seems rather suspect. Despite the fact that Nick and the girl spend a long period of time talking about whether or not to have the operation, they never say what kind it is. Nick does not tell his opinions or thoughts on the operation, or even the surrounding circumstances. As a narrator and character, Nick does not put it right out in the open.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSarah Kirkland
ReplyDelete4/A
I agree with Hsienchi. Nick is an unreliable character because of the suspense but also because he gives us a bias view on the things that our going on in the story. Instead of third person where the author could put character details he is making Nick our eyes and our thoughts in the story.
Nick is biased as a narrator. In this regard I concur with Rachel Tyus when she says "Nick as a narrator is not a reliable storyteller". As he is explaining events through his eyes and describes them with the words he would choose. Sarah Kirkland is correct when she states "Instead of third person where the author could put character details he is making Nick our eyes and our thoughts in the story." as a third person or omniscient narrator would give more fact and less opinion of characters. Therefore his version of events seem suspect. This is due to his qualities as a character influencing his telling. For example, Nick is the cousin of Daisy and agrees to help the love affair between her and Gatsby, which makes him base opinions about others around such. Even though he is reflective and open-minded his bias gets in the way of him being a reliable storyteller.
ReplyDeleteMichelle Reynolds 1A
ReplyDeleteI agree with both Sarah Kirkland and Larry Lantz. Nick is a biased narrator because he's helping along the love affair betwenn Daisy(his cousin) and Gatsby(his neighboor) although Daisy is married to his friend Tom. Nick is a unreliable narrator because he gives too many facts and not enough oponions about the characters.
Shambria Littlejohn 5B
ReplyDeleteNick is a unreliable narrator in the novel, "The Great Gatsby." He documents all the events in which he think they occur; "music from (his) neighbors house through summer nights (43). He goes on and explains the events in chronological order from a day to day basis. The narrator does not talk about other minor characters instead he "reserved judgments" (6). The novel is about Gatsby and how he became so great. Nick pays close attention to his neighbors house instead of paying attention to the neighbor as a major character. I agree with Larry, Nick is a bias narrator. He is focused on getting Gatsby back with Daisy he do not look into others thoughts about Gatsby. The novel is about Gatsby he tells us his point of view and version he needs to open up more.
Meghan Massey 5B
ReplyDeleteI find Nick to be an unreliable narrator of "The Great Gatsby", he tells things as he sees it and only uses what words he feels are needed. I concur with Sarah Kirkland in that instead of having a third person view into the story all we have is Nick and what he sees, hears, and feels. I also agree with Larry, Nick's version is more suspect than what a third person narrator would present. With Nick as the narrator we are left with his biased views.
Angel Lilly 4A
ReplyDeleteI believe the author is bias, in this book "we are him". He is explaining the story the way he sees it, so we get his opinions and what he thinks on subjects. This book is in a way hard to follow because of how he has set it up. He likes to "blur" his thoughts where its hard for us to see, we have to read between the lines and his thoughts to fully understand what he's saying.
I don't think Nick is a very good narrator. First of all the way he narrates is rather confusing. Sometimes I will get confused as to what he is talking about.
ReplyDeleteI'd also have to agree that he is biased as Larry said. He blurs his thoughts and stuff as Angel said.
Sara Glaze 4a
ReplyDeleteNick Carraway is an unreliable storyteller because it is his perceptions and attitudes regarding the events and characters of the novel. Nicks way of explaining the meaning of the story is to have be part of it. Everything in chapter one is through Nick's point of view which has it's contradictions. Nicks character is explained as tolerant and nonjudgmental, which he also views himself as privileged so I can certainly say his character affects the way he narrates. I agree with Angel on his thoughts are blurred.
Saaiba yakub 1A
ReplyDeletei agree with hsienchi and rachel. Nick is not a reliable narrator. he gives alot of facts but just not enough details to support them. i dont get where the story is taking me because it is written in a different way.
In a way Nick is a reliable storyteller from the way he introduces the narration in the beginning of The Great Gatsby. Like Meghan says he tells things the way he sees it based on his qualities. I think that gets his audience to trust his viewpoints. As the novel continues though, I agree with Jonah things do get confusing. He present topics but don't support them specifically.
ReplyDeleteAndrea Yales 5B
ReplyDeleteI agree with Meghan when saying Nick is an unreliable narrator, because a narrator should tell the views of other people and not just how one person sees it. For example, That's why when there is a crime scene the cops don't just ask one person what happened they as mulitple people to get different views to solve the crime. That is what I beleive a reliable narrator should do so we can get the full jist of the story taking place.
Shelby DiGiorgi 4A
ReplyDeleteI agree with both Meghan and Andrea when they say that Nick is an unreliable narrator because of the view that he gives us. He onlys puts his writing into his own perspective instead of including that of others. If he wanted us to believe him more, and trust his opinion, he would tell what others were thinking, allowing us to have a better perspective of what he was saying and believe him more.
Alex Reid
ReplyDelete4/A
I believe that Nick is a very good narrator and I trust him as the narrator. If he were lying he would try to make himself look like a better person. For example when Tom is cheating on Daisy with Myrtle he could have said he told Daisy to make himself seem more honest. Also when Tom punched Myrtle he could have said he stood up for her and hit Tom to make him seem brave, but he didn’t. I believe him because it seems to me that he told the story exactly how it happened and didn’t try to alter it to make anyone, even himself, seem better.
Ashley Smith 1A
ReplyDeletei agree with Shelby and Rachel when they say Nick is not a reliable narrator because the whole time he had the conversation with the girl it never once mentioned what the operation was about. he doesn't add his thoughts and opinions into the way he tells the story i think if he would people would believe him more and see his way of telling it. i believe that it would be a better perspective overall.
Rachel Tyus
ReplyDelete1A
Oopsie, I misunderstood the prompt.
Nick as the narrator of the Great Gatsby is still a suspect author. He explains things in a very different way. He focuses on weird details such as lists of people or geography of town, unlike other authors.
As a character Nick is drawn close to Daisy, because they are family. Therefore, his role in the love story between them, will always be protective over Daisy, despite how he looks up to Gatsby.
I disagree with Meghan about the author only using his perspective. For instance , the author uses Jordan's perspective of being a bridesmaid at Daisy's wedding. Which gives a slightly deeper view into the relation that Gatsby (whom the book is written about) and Daisy's past relationship.
I agree with Larry that if the author used a more omniscient third person view the book would be less biased , creating more fact and less opinion.
I believe that Nick's character so far is said to be reliable because the characters in the book already rely on him. He is a good listener when it coomes to peoples problems, especially when he was having a serious conversation with Dasy. Therefore, if he is concerned with how others feel then why would he not be trustworthy over his story. Also, its not only a story about him its about things that are important to him that occured. Therefore, he defines himeself while writting it.
ReplyDeleteJasmine Price 1A
ReplyDeleteI believe that Nick is an unreliable narrator. He seems to leave out details often, for example when Mr. Gatsby offers him a job. Nick becomes questionable and doesn't even give Gatsby a chance to tell him what the job is. Not to mention, I also agree with Michelle on her point. The narrator obviously has a bias in this book, based on the fact that he is related to Daisy.
Zoe Kennedy 5B
ReplyDeleteIn a sense, no, Nick is not a reliable middle man. He is only able to relay what he sees and thinks, even yet, he is not straight-forward or revealing in terms of his personal thoughts and opinions. It’s almost as if in the process of telling his story he has edited out key information in order to create mystery.
Andrea Yales said “...when there is a crime scene the cops don't just ask one person what happened they ask multiple people to get different views to solve the crime.” I agree with what she is saying, that a good narrator provides thoughts from more than one view to illustrate a complete picture or scenario, which Nick is not doing. Though this is probably deliberate on the part of the author.
Alexia Zaldivar wrote “...he defines himself while writing it,” meaning Nick is making realizations as he recounts the story and contemplates that which is important to him. That, again, may be a technique F. Scott Fitzgerald wove into the characterization, thus making Nick more relatable.
Alysscia Rhodes 5B
ReplyDeleteWhen referring to Nick in the novel "The Great Gatsby", he is not a reliable narrator. Nick is limited to what he sees and hears alone, subjecting readers to only his opinion. Therefor creating a mystery, as Zoe Kennedy previously stated.
Agreeing with Sara Glaze on Nick's character being tolerant and nonjudgemental, explains why he barely reacts to Tom's affair. This affects his narration by not including dramatic emotions to the story.
I agree with Larry and Rachel. Nick cannot be an unbiased narrator because he has his own oppinions and is vauge on certain peices of the story. He bases the story on how he views the events portrayed in the story. If it was his neighbors view in the beginning of chapter three, he would act like it was common to have a "machine that peels two hundred oranges in half an hour".
ReplyDeleteAlina Hodut
ReplyDelete4A
Narrators tell the story from either first person or third person. Anyone who has ever read the first sentence of "The Great Gatsby" will realize that the story will be from a first person point of view. That being said it should also be noted that first person point of view will be biased since it is that one persons opinion and recollection of an event. So I think that Nick was a good narrator since he told us what we needed to know in order for the story to progress and make sense. We were not told of the inconsequential details of his life such as " and then I ate dinner where I realized that I needed to go to town to buy eggs and milk." I mean really, imagine how long and boring the book would be then. Nick tells us a story of his youth, a time in which he learned more about himself and the world in which he lived in so it should make sense that it would be from his perspective and we are aware of only his feelings towards events in the book.
Hsienchi Dy
ReplyDelete1/A
I think that Nick is an unreliable narrator, because just like Rachel said, Nick focuses on different things such as a list of people and also explain things in a different way than other authors would. I also agree with Jonah, because Nick's narration can be confusing. I think that because Nick is connected to Daisy, he has now an ability to find out more about Jay Gatsby. Therefore, readers would be able to read the novel easily because Nick can tell more about the mysterious Gatsby.
As a narrator Nick Carraways is not reliable, compare to if the story was told by the author point of view. Like Larry Lantz stated, Nick only explains what he knows or sees through his own eyes and because of this characters are not fully developed.
ReplyDeleteFinally because this is in a 3rd person point of view a reader cannot believe all the arguments that Nick expose in the narration, each character has their own point of view and opinions, one character cannot be responsible for the viewpoint of all the character in the novel.
Tylar Ball 5B
ReplyDeleteFrom what I have read so far I think nick is a pretty good narrator. He does kind of make things seem foggy when you first read it but if you go over it again you may be able to understand it a little better. He seems pretty reliable from what I have read, because everyone else has been found to be a liar except him so far. But that could be him trying to cover up that he may be a liar also. The way his character is percieved as the good guy could mean that he really is the bad guy.
Amanda Hamilton 1/a
ReplyDeleteI believe Nick is a biased narrator. I agree with Rachel and Ashley, Nick is not a reliable story teller. Nick provide his opinions and his judgements. The type of operation was never mentioned but they talked about the operation a lot. Just like Shelby said he uses his own perspective. I think he could have used the other character's perspective also.
Vanessa sithideth
ReplyDeletePeriod 4A
In my opinion, Nick is not a reliable storyteller due to the fact that he is biased as suggested by Amanda. His feelings and opinions change about the characters like how we feel towards some people. As I read, I feel like his attitudes towards the characters is based on how they act which changes the attitude of him narrating. For example, he was very sweet and almost romantic towards Jordan Baker but towards the end he started acting cold hearted towards her and I didn't understand why.
Mikaela Jacob 5B
ReplyDeleteI think Nick is unreliable because the drama in the story really has nothing to do with him he is just a person on the outside looking in. He doesn't really know any of the characters personally and can't raelly tell how they feel. I agree with Shambria saying that Nick jumps around time. i also agree with Tylar saying if you reread things will become clearer.
Christian Brenneke
ReplyDelete1A
Nick as an author is bias because everything he says is through his opinion of the way he sees things. He as the cousin of daisy and neighbor of Gatsby also affects his ability to tell the story without being bias because of his personal relationship with the characters. By saying this I have to agree with Rachel Tyus and Sarah glaze.
Damen Bennett 4A
ReplyDeleteNick the narrator, is not a very good one to say the least. I say this because his opinions are very personal and bias.(for lack of a better word since I know EVERYONE has said this)For example, his opinion on Mr. Gatsby is different because hes related to Daisy, had he not been related to her he probably would've thought more highly of him. Had Nick not had a bias the story probably would've had more details, and better information about them.
MistyK
ReplyDelete4A
Nick is not a reliable narrator, he is not very good at comletely explaining things or where he is coming from. Sometimes at the end of chapters he leaves you confused and lost. I agree with larry when he says "as he is explaining events through his eyes and describes them with the words he would choose." I feel like it makes the story more biased and doesnt really give us facts about the other characters, He is telling us more his opinions than anything else.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDeion R. 4A
ReplyDeleteNick is ultimately an unreliable storyteller because the story is seen through his perspective alone. Thus I agree with Vanessa that Nick's actions, thoughts, and dialogue reflect around his personal emotions towards the characters, more than the facts and characteristics about them. Also, he has the tendency to make poor transitions between scenes ,and I find myself reading previous pages to find out how they came to where they were at the moment. An example would be page 38 where he is at Mr. McKee's bedside and then he is sleeping at the train station with no indication of how he ended up there.
Kayla Young
ReplyDelete5b
As a narrator, Nick is okay as a narrator but not that reliable. It's only his side of the story and he is only sharing what he feels and his opinions. Like Mikaela said, "he's just a character looking in on other people's drama", Nick became involved after that dinner with his cousin and her husband. His version can be suspected because we don't know every side of the story. He doesn't provide the right information; he's not neutral. His qualities affect his narration as character because a reader can't rely on his words since some his details are foggy as Tylar stated.
Amanda Plemons
ReplyDelete5B
I believe Nick, the narrator of "The Great Gatsby" to be a very unreliable narrator, throughout the story he often throws his own perspective into the picture. For example, near the beginning he is explaining the sort of "aura" that daisy gives off and that very well may be that only he sees her this way. I agree with Sarah Kirkland when she says "Instead of third person where the author could put character details he is making Nick our eyes and our thoughts in the story.” It would be more helpful if there was a third person acting as narrator instead of Nick. I also agree with Larry Lantz when he states “Therefore his version of events seem suspect. This is due to his qualities as a character influencing his telling.” By him being the narrator we are only seeing this happening through his eyes and his eyes alone
How can Nick Be a Unreliable storyteller? it never includes anywhere or anything of Historical or background knowledge that doesnt correlate to his Narrating. of course the story told would be biased it's a first person account of Events. hence the saying "there's always two sides to every story"
ReplyDeleteI BELIEVE NicK to be a very unreliable narrator IN WHICH THROUGHOUT THE BOOK HE TELLS THE STORY THROUGH HIS PERSPECTIVE IN A SUSPENSEFUL WAY LEAVING THE READER WITH A TRAIN OF THOUGHTS AND QUESTIONS. NOT REALLY ENURING THE READER WHATS HAPPENING IN A SPECIFIC CHAPTER HIS PERSONAL THOUGHTS REALLY PORTRAY THE CHARACTERS FROM A DIFFRENT VIEW THAN WHAT THEY REALL ARE. CONFUSING THE READER. FOR EXAMPLE WHEN NICK SEES STRANGE THINGS HAPPENING AT GATSBY HOUSE HE DOESNT REALLY HAVE A ACTION FOR IT INSTEAD TRYS TO FORGET THE SITUATION SO NICK IS A UNRELIABLE NARRATOR!
ReplyDeleteKERI PRINCE-K. 1A
ReplyDeleteI BELIEVE NicK to be a very unreliable narrator IN WHICH THROUGHOUT THE BOOK HE TELLS THE STORY THROUGH HIS PERSPECTIVE IN A SUSPENSEFUL WAY LEAVING THE READER WITH A TRAIN OF THOUGHTS AND QUESTIONS. NOT REALLY ENURING THE READER WHATS HAPPENING IN A SPECIFIC CHAPTER HIS PERSONAL THOUGHTS REALLY PORTRAY THE CHARACTERS FROM A DIFFRENT VIEW THAN WHAT THEY REALL ARE. CONFUSING THE READER. FOR EXAMPLE WHEN NICK SEES STRANGE THINGS HAPPENING AT GATSBY HOUSE HE DOESNT REALLY HAVE A ACTION FOR IT INSTEAD TRYS TO FORGET THE SITUATION SO NICK IS A UNRELIABLE NARRATOR!
Alexis W. 5B
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, Nick is not a reliable storyteller. I agree with Amanda and Vanessa in saying that Nick is a biased narrator. His version of the story seems to differ from how other characters in the story saw the events in the story due to his own relationships and opinions of other characters.
The way I see it, throughout the book we only get one side of the story. Nick only tells the story through his perspective. He never goes back to give us the opinions of the other characters. This, in my opinion, makes Nick an unreliable narrator.
in my opinion nick the narrator is an amazing and reliable story teller. I say this for many reasons. But let me elaborate on my first. Nick makes it seem as if i am a person with impaired vision and he takes things around him and explains it to the highest of his ability. For example he can take something so simple like "she looked at me" into "...Her grey sun-strained eyes looked back at me" (pg.15). I already had thought in my mind that she had beatiful grey eyes.
ReplyDeleteApril H 1A
ReplyDeleteI think that Nick is a good narrator because he tells the story from neither points if view. He is an unbiased third-party. Granted it can be a little confusing at times woith him not have ing a point of view but overall he is good.
i do not agree with Jonah because he thinks that he is a bad narrator. I do agree with Keri when she says that heis unreliable.
Logan Richards 4A
ReplyDeleteI will have to disagree with the majority of the responses (save for Aprils), to this question. I found out Nick to be a reliable narrator in The Great Gatsby. In the story Nick never lays his own judgement over the facts of the story. A prime example of this comes early in the story when Jordan Baker relays her knowledge of Toms mistress. Nick makes no judgement, nor does he even express an opinion. Nick is not an omniscient narrator in the sense that he doesn't know anymore about what is occurring than the reader does. Nick may not be the most reliable of narrators, however he is not inherently bad in the sense that he lets his view overcloud his telling of the straight facts of the story.
nick as a narrator is not a reliable story teller because he is very biased. he only describes events in his own view. everything he states is in his own eyes or are his own thoughts. he does not tell the events in third person but in first person so we do not get to see all of the points of views from a various perspective of people. also as he is telling the story in his perspective he has a tendency to "leave the reader hanging" if you will.
ReplyDeleteNick as a narrator is not a reliable story teller because his views are one sided. he does not give insight as to whats going on. When he explains the whats going on in the story he leaves to much to the imagination as does not give direct information. This could be viewed as good or bad depending on the reader. Some people like to know everything but Nick allows you to form your own opinion about what is happening. I also agree with cole when he says nick is very biased because he only tells the story through his own eyes and thoughts.
ReplyDelete