Thursday, August 25, 2011

Re-writing through Reading

“Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms.” Angela Carter

How have your reading experiences allowed you to "re-write" history?

62 comments:

  1. Shanyce Chambers 1A
    I feel that if you know your history you can not repeat it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joseph Richey 1A
    From my previous reading experiences, I learned to write in a more formal tone, as well as the use of more elaborate terms. If I were to not learn any of this, I would write in a very unprofessional way and thus, will ultimately get rejected in most things in life such as a job. So yeah, I believe my previous reading experiences essentially allowed me to "Re-write" history and change it to the proper path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow my answers look professional! That's a first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel Tyus 1A

    Like Shanyce, I do agree with the well known
    quote “If you don’t know your History you are doomed to repeat it". Furthermore like Joseph, I believe that literature can change your life by opening up many more opportunities. However, I believe Angela Carter was referring to a person re-interpreting a novel based on their life experience.


    I have often re-interpreted books because of my own experiences. For example, when reading "Of Mice and Men" I believe I understood the difficulties of dealing with a challenged person a little better, due to the fact that my brother is autistic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle Reynolds 1A
    I agree with Shanyce on the aspect of "If you don't know your History you are doomed to repeat it." Rachel also makes a good point that sometimes when you read it can relate to you. I find that often when I read a novel I can realte to it. Also sometimes the character/author makes a mistake and I now know not to make that mistake

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hsienchi Dy 1/A

    I agree with Rachel because reading experiences allowed me to "re-write" history by reading something that you can relate to makes it easier to understand and easier to write what your thoughts are towards that particular reading.
    I also agree with Joseph because reading is a very helpful tool. I learned new vocabs, and also helped me become better with writing formal essays with proper grammar and punctuation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah Kirkland 4/A
    I agree with Michelle when she says " sometimes the character/author makes a mistake and I now know not to make that mistake " When you read it is like a movie in your head, that what Mrs.Drell told me in our science class every day that we had to read. When you see a character make a mistake it is just like when you are in a horror movie sayin, "Don't go in that closet!" You see how the out come is and you know not to do that yourself. My re-reading experience helped me to rewrite history by not doing something tha I could regret with my friends and family. For example, in the book "Flipped" it was telling to sides of the story and I learned there are different view points and ge the whole story so I did not repeat what the main character, Bryce, did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shelby DiGiorgi 4A
    I agree with Shaynce, if you do not know your history then you are doomed to repeat it. You must take what you learned from previous experiences and use the knowledge to further you positively in the future. I also agree with Michelle, reading someones life allows you to see how they made their desicions and the outcome of what they chose. You can use that to help you make your decisions.

    I believe that my previous reading experiences have helped me "re-write" history a couple of ways. By reading a story it's almost like reading everyones perspective. You can see how some people think in situations and almost use that to figure out how some people think in your own problems. That can help you see their side of the story and "re-write" what you thought happened into what quite possibly might of actually happened.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amanda Hamilton 1/A
    I agree with Hsienchi, I also think that reading and learning about something that you can relate to makes it easier to understand, interpret, and write about your thoughts on that subject. Taking another persons opinion and outlook on things help and relate to your opinions. I also agree with Michelle, reading and attaining someone elses life and decisions allow you to see their choices and consequences. Reading about other peoples history and life experiences help me with mine. I like to read about people and their situations and either learn about them or learn from their mistakes. My reading experience helps me re-write history because i learn new things that will help me in the future and i learn choices and consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  10. austin kellum 1-A

    reading has allowed me to "re-write" history because through reading text books i have learned that Christopher Columbus did not actually discover the americas.

    i also agree with Sarah because reading is like a movie in your head and you know whats gonna happen and you cant do anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. April Harden

    I agree with what Rachel says about the quote. IO also agree with what Austin said about Colombus. Reading can make us change our opinions about certain things.

    I think that reading has allowed me to "re-write" history by letting me see different points of veiw therefore allowing me to think about things in a diferent way. Therefore altering the way I think of that part of history.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christian Brenneke 1a
    My reading experiences haven’t had that much effect on my direct history. I mean when I read a novel I do get the moral of the story most of the time but I don’t think I let that moral sink in. I interoperate the moral of a story one second and make that same mistake the next second. I believe for some people like myself we just have to live life by our own trial and error because it’s hard to learn from someone else’s errors.

    By saying this I will have to say I disagree with Shanyce. On the other hand I will have to agree with Joseph because reading does have its perks on improving grammar and increasing future success.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sara Glaze 4A
    I wouldn't say my reading experiences have helped me rewrite history. Your whole life is basically your own book, everyday is a new adventure just like a new chapter. In most circumstances we tend to compare our lives to one of the characters and we do tend learn a thing or two from them. But like Christian B said "We just live life by our own trial and error because it's hard to learn from someone else's errors". I fully agree with what he said, we never know what is going to happen to in the next minute or hour so I live my life one moment at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jonah Roberson 1A
    Often times authors leave spaces in their writing for the reader to fill in with their own experiences. So what i get out of a reading won't be what another reader gets out of it but that does not mean it is wrong.

    I will have to agree with Shanyce. I hear a lot of times that we learn history so that we don't repeat it. By learning peoples past mistakes, we prevent ourselves from repeating them. I also like the way Austin said reading is like a movie in your head. We take the imagery the author gives us a render our own little world inside our head in which the story takes place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grayson Gisbon 1A:
    I feel that my reading experiences have helped me "reshape" history. Whether it be my goals, or my main focus at this point in life, it has been influenced by something I've read. I also agee with Joseph and Hsienchi, my writing has evolved because of reading and seeing what other authors do and because it makes it substantially easier to understand if you can relate to the piece or enjoy the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whtiney Farrie ;4A
    Reading all together always make me think about past things i Have done or thought about doing.If I read a novel and they are having similar situations that I have or had, I take what they did in the novel and put it in consideration for my problems. Just like Grayson Mentioned, Most of what I know today comes from reading or from somebody telling me something. You can learn how to handle a situation from reading a book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Misty Kelly 4A:
    To me the quote means that when you read a book, no matter what it says you kind of change things a little to fit your situations or you see how the character handled the situation so you remember that next time your going through something. My reading experiences have helped me to re-write history because some of the ways i think about things or apporach situations have somewhat been influenced by what i have read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brittany Bradford 1A

    From my reading experiences I learned that I comprehend what I'm reading better when I can relate to it. You can retell and re-write another person thoughts cause you're able to apply your own.

    I disagree with Austin's comment at the end when he says that if you know whats qoing to happen you can't do nothing about it. I feel like if you know about it you can "re-write" it. On the other hand ChrisB response is true, not all people learn from others errors.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Clayton Cason 4a

    Past Reading and Life Experiences Generate you interpretations. You and your past control what you say,view,believe, or get out of anything you will ever read. An understanding of a piece will never garner the same response from any two people, Unless they have witnessed parallel lives. Say you give a piece of text that is false to two people sitting next to each other. One, who has read Multiple texts that touch this subject beforehand that contrast what this Literature is stating. The other, who has no prior knowledge of this subject. The one with Background knowledge is going to respond in a manner that is set in his way, firmly on the ground . With his enlightened understanding and personal experience, you wont be able to put this "history" in his head and tell him to never do it again. . The others mind, whose knowledge of the subject has never been established, will believe the lie that is being told to him, and will go about his life looking to "re-write history" and living by it. all the while the One who knew the truth will "re-write History" because he had prior knowledge, so the text wont effect him like it would if he hadn't had prior opinion on it. Its a Chain-reaction, Cause and effect world we live in,w here "everything happens for a Reason" is prevalent and undeniably true.


    iii

    ReplyDelete
  20. The way I interpret the statement above is that when you read something and you understand it, you usually put yourself in the characters shoes, to see what you would do differently.
    Furthermore, I agree with Amanda Hamilton from 1A because reading something that you can relate to, makes it easier to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My reading experiences have allowed me to 're-write' history in the sense that what I have gained from reading allows me to look back and understand history better. Getting experiences from other authors gives me a new perspective on life, as well as history. It is up to us what we take from history; including what opinions we formulate and how we perceive it. In that sense, we can gather our own opinions and thoughts on history as opposed to what we gather on our own without reading. Essentially, I agree with what Farhensky said. - Period 4A

    ReplyDelete
  23. Alex Reid 4A
    If you read you will gain more knowledge and will make smarter decisions in the future. You can change your life and maybe even other people’s lives. When I read a book and something doest work out very well for someone in that book I know not to try it. On the other hand, though, if something works out great I might want to try it later.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ashley Smith 1A

    When you can relate to a piece of literature it makes it 10 times easier to understand because you know exactly what they are trying to say and you know what they are feeling when they wrote the piece. When you can understand and connect to a piece that well you are able to pick out their mistakes and re-write a piece in your own words.

    I agree with shelby and Michelle when they say that you must take what you find in another person's mistakes and re-write it your own way.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Carrea Clark 1A
    My reading experiences have allowed me to become a stronger reader and writer.
    I personally agree with Shanyce and Rachel "...if you know your history you cannot repeat it." I say this because if your not aware of your history then your bound to make the same mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dalton Couey 4A
    I believe that my past reading experiences have not only allowed me to "re-write" history by letting me relate to the past with what I'm currently reading, or what i've read in the past, but it also gives me the ability to "pre-write" the future as well. The ability to relate with what you are presently reading just seems to make the reading go by so much more smoothly, and it helps make it easier to help comprehend, which is the struggle for most people. But if you can relate to what you're reading, you can learn so much more than you realize you are. Thus, not only allowing you to re-write history, but pre-write it as well.

    Furthermore, i strongly agree with Ashley on the fact that being able to relate makes you understand just exactly what you're reading. As well as being able to correct their mistakes, and fill them in with your own corrections.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would have to agree with Joseph and Chris. I agree with chris because I do not,"per say", absorb the moral that is reaching out to me. I agree with Joseph because reading DOES in fact effectively help you in the long run by increasing your vocabulary, making your tone more formal, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Kelly Hurtado 1A

    My experiences have allowed my to "re-write" my history by allowing me to
    come to my own conclusions. I am not forced into a thought or idea because
    I can study the information myself.I feel like most people missed the point
    of this question. Whether or not you take the information and use it to
    change the future is irrelavent.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Taylor Himes; 1A
    I agree with Joseph because reading is actually quite helpful once you think about it. It's made it easier to understanding essay topics, and also to write the essay and make it sound more professional.

    I believe that not reading will make a very big negative impact on ones life, on the other hand one who does read, will be able to change their future along with re-writing the history that could of been without reading.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jamie Gonyer 1b
    My reading experiences have allowed me to "re-write" my history by increasing all of my reading and writing skills. I have a higher vocabulary, although some words have to be overlooked while reading, I'm capable of taking them and using them again in my daily conversations.
    I strongly agree with Kelly, using reading and the information you gather from it to alter your future is irrelevent. It's merely what you gather and how you USE what you gather to help your reading skills within the future.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Alexis Wilson 5B
    My reading experiences have allowed me to re-write history because through the stories i have read in the past, experiences I've had, and knowledge gained elsewhere I am able to understand what I'm reading in a different way then how someone else might have taken the same reading. So from my perspective i am re-writing history. Just like what Rachel said, things that experience throughout your life can affect the way you understand what you're reading.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Diane Francis 5B
    When You Read A Story, You Use Background Knowlegde That You Know To Help Better Understand. I Agree With Rachel Saying She Uses Her Personal Experiences To Better Interpret Stories She Reads. I Also Agree With Sarah Saying That Reading Is Like A Movie Playing In Your Head, You Know When The Character Makes A Mistake & You Know What Not To Do From That.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Larry Lantz 5B
    Reading a book opens up a new world that I tend to fill in with my own experiences and memories. This act allows me to put myself in the book and make of it what I will. Clayton is correct when he states that "You and your past control what you say,view,believe, or get out of anything you will ever read." making the changes to history in your own terms and beliefs. Thus allowing me to "re-write" history. Angela carter said it right, that when you read a book "You bring your history and you read it in your own terms." I take my past experiences and what I have learned and connect it to the story at hand replacing the words they used for my own. I concur with Rachel's statement "I believe that literature can change your life by opening up many more opportunities." in that through reading we are able to learn about ourselves and eventually make all new connections with all forms of literature. It is through more experiences in reading that we continue to "re-write" history.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have been able to understand the world better and actually get facts on some of the events that have happened already.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I agree with Alexis Wilson. My reading experiences have allowed me to re-write history also because i have gained knowledge about the article or story I read. I use that new obtained knowlege for future references. Knowing the history of other peoples stories can avoid the chance of me making the same wrong. However, it is important to know the achievements because it can be inspiration or a guide of how to do things with success.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Brailand Hearn 4a
    i agree with the quote especially when it says you bring your experirnces to a novel. When I read books, its my imagination versus the words.I try to make a vivid picture in my head with everything i've seen, heard, or thought of to match the descriptions on the pages. by creating the story in my head, im "Re-writing History."

    ReplyDelete
  37. Tifanny Solomon 1A

    bodyMy reading experoences have allowed me to become a stornger reader and writer by past mistakes on test including the FCAT Benchmark. By seeing my score and learning what i need to improve on i have made strives to improve the things i need to work on and other things i need to maybe get hgher in to increase my score. I agree with Carrea when she says when you know the past you wont make the same mistake. I also agree with kelly because i didnt really get the question. (under Aaliyah lilly's account...my computer wouldnt post mine)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Aaliyah Lilly 5B

    My reading experience has helped me re-write history by helping me understand the reading material, with my prior knowledge. With my prior knowledge it can motivate me to write because, then my writing would flow smoothly. I would have to agree with with Mikaela jacob(Diana Francis) and Brailand, because I do use my imagintion when I read and when I write.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Vanessa Sithideth Period 4A
    My reading experiences allowed me to rewrite history because it gives me more knowledge of everything. From the things I have read, I'm able to use my own experiences and find ways for it to apply to me which brings back my past for me in different ways but it also helps me to easily relate to what I'm reading. Therefore, I have a better comprehension of the text.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Shambria Littlejohn 5B-Period
    Reading is knowledge and knowledge is power. My reading experiences allow me to rewrite history because history repeats itself. You learn new things when you read. Whenever I am reading I pay close attention to the author's diction. The words the author use play a big part in the story and it helps you relate to your past or the present. I agree with Logan Richards because experiences from author's do help you through reqal life situations. You can get a full understanding of ways to help you with that particular situation. I can comprehand better when I read about things that relate to me.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Meghan Massey Period 5B
    My reading experiences have allowed me to rewrite history because by applying what I already know to my reading, I can gain new knowledge and understanding. From what I have read, I can use the new understanding to look back at history and see it in a new perspective, like Logan previously stated. I also agree with Dalton, that by having reading experiences not only can we rewrite history but we can also prewrite it.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Amanda Plemons Period 5B
    My previous reading experiences have allowed me to re-write history by helping me to relate to other's experiences and to give me a wider variety of vocabulary. Just as Joseph said if I hadn't read more, then my vocabulary would be very unprofessional and dull. Also just as Megan said, through reading I have been able to gain a new outlook and a new way to relate to and understand what other’s deal with by understanding the character’s point of view in my books.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Zoe Kennedy 5B

    Coraline by Neil Gaiman was the first novel I ever read and I feel as though it shaped me more than any other literature I have been exposed to. The imagination of the plot, the Tim Burton-esque illustrations and even the clothing style of the main character have all been a major influence, even to this day. It has definitely changed the way I view the world, as well as my creative style, in terms of artwork.
    Relating to a character in a book, or at least seeing the thoughts I have come from somewhere else, has always given me a strange comfort as well.
    I completely agree with what Shelby said, “You can see how some people think in situations and almost use that to figure out how some people think in your own problems.” Reading from the point of view of someone with a different personality and way of thinking enables you to become more understanding and worldly. On the same point of better understanding, Logan wrote, “what I have gained from reading allows me to look back and understand history better.” This quote can also be applied to past actions of others, not just “history” overall. The misunderstanding of a person will certainly lead to the misunderstanding of their actions.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Alysscia Rhodes 5B
    I believe that in each text/book there is a lesson to be learned. In taking and applying these lessons, I have learbed that I can re-write history. whether this revision is announced to the world or just to family, it will make a difference in lives. As Shanyce previously stated, "If you don't know your history, you are doomed to repeatit." From these reading experiences I have been able to take what the characters have gone though, compare them to my situation, and determine the things that I need to make in order to deal with the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  45. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Nathan Waters 5B
    I think that we can all change history if we put our heart towards it. As said earlier by Shanyce "If you don't know your history you are doomed to repeat it. That tells me that if I know my history I can change the future. Also when reading my history I can take everything I know and apply it too connect the best i can with the past.

    ReplyDelete
  47. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Devyn Grayer 5B
    Brailand Hearn mentioned " When I read books, its my imagination versus the words." Through out my life until now I never really enjoyed reading, but when I sat down with one of my teachers she clearly expected allot out of me; Since she expected so much from me I dedicated my free time(which I had allot of) entirely to reading and enhancing my vocabulary. Through out my high school days I have noticed that that literature has re-written my history. Meghan Massey mentioned "From what I have read, I can use the new understanding to look back at history and see it in a new perspective.." Looking back at my history and thinking of how I used to abhor books, it seems unreal to me how far I have come to improve my life.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Andrea Yales 5b
    My reading experiences have aloud me to re-write history by putting myself into the book's characters and comparing their situations to my own life. By doing so I am less likely to repeat the same mistakes that were made. I choose to take advice from an auother because they have lived the experiences that they write in their book's. By doing so they tend to create morals that often can relate to you and your life. For example the article we read in class by Alexander Solzhenitsyn says that literature can stop falsehood and violence. He understands the topic well because of all the experiences he has gone through with concentration camps. By understanding what his moral is alot of violence can be prevented and can change someones life.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Keri Prince-Kelly 1A
    I AGREE WITH ANDREA MY READING EXPERIENCES HAVE ALOUD ME TO RE-WRITE HISTORY BY ME PUTTING MYSELF IN THEIR SHOES. SEEING IF I UNDERSTAND THEIR PERSPECTIVES. IF I LEARNED ANYTHING THAT CAN BETTER HELP ME TO AVOID BAD SITUATIONS IN MY LIFE , AND TRY TO EXPERINCE THE GOOD ONES AS I GET OLDER CREATING A STRONG SINCE OF MORALS THAT I KNOW WILL ALWAYS STICK WITH ME.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Tiffany Solomon 1A
    I agree with Keri because when I think of re-writing history I put myself in the shoes of the character and see how they are feeling maybe I could relate to that character some how. If I dont know what the character is going through I could learn and pay attention to how they handled it and use it in every day life

    ReplyDelete
  52. Brandi Wilkinson 4A
    I also agree With Andrea Yales.She speaks on how you must be in the person shoes in order to actually have a perspective or point of view. BUT just like the old saying "If you don't know the past than your likely to repeat it"

    ReplyDelete
  53. Jasmine Price 1A

    My reading experiences have allowed me to re-write history because like they always say, "if you don't learn history, than it is doomed to repeat itself". Also, like Keri, I learn from the mistakes of people's past that help me out in my personal life. It is always important to take out the moral of the story and go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Tylar Ball 5B
    When reading a book I always use different ways to remember it better. If the book is something set in a historical moment I always place my self in the moment to help me remember things better. When i learn of other mistakes I usually remember not to do that same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Damen Bennett 4a

    My reading experiences have helped me "re-write" history by aloowing me to take knowledge from things I read. For example, if I read a newspaper theres probably gonna be a style of writing or some phrases, words, etc. that I use after reading it. And after I understand what it means, of course. Don't need another "Modern Little Red Riding Hood" happening again.

    ReplyDelete
  56. My reading experiences allowed me to re-write history because my perception of the world changes with each new book I read. You see the world from someone else's point of view. Someone who might see it in a totally different way which in turn opens your mind to different possibilities. I agree with Alysscia Rhodes when she said that "it will make a difference in lives" because books are so incredibly powerful in this aspect. For example there are hundreds of inspirational books out on the market every day and people do buy them. I also agree with Zoe Kennedy when she said "Reading from the point of view of someone with a different personality and way of thinking enables you to become more understanding and worldly." I also like how she mentioned the first novel that she ever read and talked about how that affected and influenced her.

    ReplyDelete
  57. 4A

    Sorry, I forgot to put my period.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Aaron B. 4th period
    I believe that reading helped me "rewrite history" by opening my mind to different points of view. It really help me see things in a different way. In more ways than one it has helped me to see things more creatively which is very helpful for when I write. I also think that my reading experiences have helped me to "rewrite history" by helping me to better myself in life which doesn't directly rewrite history but what it does do is help me change the future which will eventually become history hince it will eventually rewrite history.I agree with Joseph Richey when he stated "I learned to write more formal tone" I believe this statement is really rings true. As an example of joseph's statement if you were to only to read childrens books your writing would never improve past that simple elementary state.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I personally agree with this quote because my past reading experiences have aided the decisions and judgements to come after. My past reading experiences have also shaped future events to come. Without seeing through the perspective of multiple authors and icons, my own perspective would be misguided and without direction. I also agree with Joseph's statement that reading has helped me assert myself in a more precise manner.

    ReplyDelete
  60. My reading experiences have not really allowed me to "Re-Write" history but actually relive history through the eyes of other through novels and short stories.

    ReplyDelete
  61. my reading experiences have allowed me to re-write history in such a way that i can gain a better understanding of my history so i have the option to either re-write history or not. it allows my writing to be more professional and more elaborate. i can also use the knowledge of other before me to create a better understanding in my writing.

    ReplyDelete